If you live in the California Bay Area and are thinking about remodeling or updating your kitchen, you might be wondering what the latest kitchen trends are here. There are a lot of factors that go into designing the kitchen of your dreams.
The Bay Area is always on the cutting edge of new trends, and kitchens are no different. Kitchen cabinet trends are leaning toward functionality with increased height, bold colors and hardware. Some appliance trends are encouraging color in unexpected places, like ranges and refrigerators, while others aim to hide appliances.
In this article, we will be covering all aspects of the latest kitchen trends and going in-depth to explore some of the fantastic possibilities. After reading this article, you will have all the necessary information to design the best looking kitchen in the California Bay Area.
Kitchen Cabinet Trends
When deciding on what kind of cabinets would look best in your kitchen, it is important to look at the materials your cabinets are made of, what colors you prefer, and what style best suits your kitchen.
Having cabinets that reach the ceiling makes your kitchen feel more spacious, gives you more storage space, and it looks fantastic.
There are a wide variety of colors to choose from when designing cabinets, but the trending colors right now are white and gray. Blue hues are also trending now, and so are warm neutral colors like espresso brown, natural wood, green, dark gray, and saturated jewel tones.
- Lower cabinets could be the same color as the center island, but only for wood or neutral tones, and top cabinets should be a different, perhaps lighter color, like white or light gray.
- Adding shiny or matte black hardware to your cabinets can really boost the appearance of your kitchen.
- No pulls are another great option, with hidden finger grooves or cutouts where you grab your drawers or doors. You could even get push to open drawers and cabinets.
- Having no upper cabinets is also great, especially if you want to show off your beautiful back splashand shelving.
When choosing what materials to use for your cabinets, the possibilities are endless. Some of the most popular materials used today are:
- Hard maple
- White and red oak
- Hickory and cherry
You could also choose glass-faced cabinets to somewhat show off your dishware and to add character to your kitchen, and if you add lights inside of your glass-faced cabinets, it really brightens up your kitchen.
- Floor-to-ceiling cabinets or walls of storage keep all of your things organized and concealed.
- Hidden storage areas are another great addition.
- Hardware-lessdrawers and cabinets are somewhat trending and look very sleek.
- Sleek cabinetry is more popular now than cabinets with crown molding or decorative accents.
|Floor to Ceiling Cabinets
Kitchen Shelving Trends
Instead of just having cabinets in your kitchen, you could incorporate shelves to show off your dishware, or you could use the shelves to display decorative pieces.
Here are a few other clever ways to get the most use out of kitchen shelves:
- Store your regularly used dishes on the shelves.
- Show off your drinking cups.
- Use the shelf as storage for big jars.
- Use the shelf as a seasoning and spice rack.
Kitchen Appliance Trends
It is no secret that there are quite a few different appliances in your kitchen that you probably use every day, so why not decorate them to fit with the rest of your kitchen.
Colorful Ovens and Range Hoods
With splashes or pops of color trending, it might make sense to have your oven and range hood be the pop you are looking for.
- You can color your oven to match the pop of color on your center island or the surrounding cabinets.
- Stainless steel has been and is still very popular in most kitchens.
- Black stainless steel has been growing in popularity lately.
- Instead of coloring your oven, you could add color or texture to your range hood.
- Steel range hoods and plasterwork range hoods are trending right now. You could use white oak to cover your range hood as well.
Nowadays, it is trending to conceal some of your appliances, like your dishwasher, range hood, and refrigerator, to look like they are part of the surrounding cabinetry.
Just like with ovens and range hoods, it is becoming trendy to have appliances that add a pop of color to your kitchen. You can buy refrigerators in all kinds of colors, but this year’s color is matte black. It seems like a good idea to either stick with matte black or stainless steel appliances because they are easier to replace, and they do not go out of style as quickly.
Kitchen Countertop Trends
When choosing countertops, it is best to go with one that can withstand daily use. This is why most people decide to go with stone countertops.
A lot of the most popular countertops are made of some type of stone, whether it be quartz, granite, or marble.
- Quartz is the trending type of countertop right now.
- These countertops are very low-maintenance and amazingly stain resistant.
- Although these countertops are stain-resistant, they are far from heat resistant and could be damaged if you put a hot pot or pan directly on its surface.
- They maintain their beauty very nicely since they do not lose their coloring or pattern.
- It does not need to be sealed regularly and can handle acidic foods as well as most household chemicals.
- These countertops come in lots of different colors and patterns, and the trending finish now is matte.
- These countertops are very durable and easy to maintain.
- Granite shouldbe sealed at least once or twice a year to help prevent stains.
- This type of stone is very environmentally friendly.
- There are a lot more color options to choose from.
- Marble has been making somewhat of a comeback this year.
- These countertops are not ideal for constant use, so if you do not spend a lot of time in your kitchen but would like your kitchen to look stunning, then marble is a good option.
- This type of countertop is heat resistant and can withstand some staining.
- These countertops do not do well with acids, even if it is sealed properly.
Another fantastic trend right now is extending the countertop material up the backsplash for an amazingly beautiful look.
Kitchen Pantry Trends
If you like to have all of your food in the same area of your kitchen, then a pantry is the perfect thing for you. There are a few different kinds of pantries to choose from, and they are larders and walk-in pantries.
Larders are stand-alone cupboards or pantries where you can store most or all of your dry goods and it does not take up too much space in your kitchen. Larders are trending in lots of kitchens right now.
If you do not have space in your kitchen for a full wall of cabinets or a walk-in pantry, larders are the perfect option because they do not take up much space.
Walk-in pantries are great for keeping all of your food and other kitchen items in one place. Walk-in pantries do require a lot of organizing, and they require a lot of space, but they do provide plenty of storage space, and you can tailor them to fit your needs.
Center Island Trends
Is there anything better than a beautiful center island? Well, actually there is, and it’s two islands! Having two center islands gives you more seating space and looks incredible.
- There are a lot of different styles of center islands, and they can be made out of a few different materials like stone, wood, and sometimes metal.
- If you want a center island but do not have space for a stationary one, you can always get a moveable one and the only wheel it out when you want or need to use it.
- If you choose to go with two center islands, then there are a couple of different ways to set them up, and they are L-shaped and T-shaped.
- L-shapedcenter islands are compatible with almost all kitchen types and sizes and give you more counter space or even another place to put appliances.
- T-shapedcenter islands are basically one center island with a place for eating perpendicular to the center island.
Center Island Color
If you want to add a pop of color to your kitchen, you can use any bright color on your center island, you think looks best. This works best if your cabinets are white or a neutral color.
Center Island Features
The amazing thing about center islands is you can add things to them like sinks and dishwashers. If you plan to have two center islands put in, you could have more seating space or even have an extra sink put in to make cleanup faster.
Kitchen Sink Trends
Along with some of the other aspects of your kitchen, black matte is one of the top trending colors for your kitchen sink, and so are copper and gold.
There are different styles of sinks to choose from, like, apron front, under-mount, or drop-in sinks. Along with these styles, you can also choose between single or double basins.
There are a wide variety of materials used to make sinks, and here are the top materials:
- Stainless steel
- Cast iron
- Composite granite
You can either have your faucet match your sink, or you can choose to match your faucet with the other metallic pops of color around your kitchen like your light fixtures or cabinet hardware.
- Black matte faucets are somewhat trending right now
- Brushed nickel goes well with stainless steel appliances
It is true that there are many different kinds of flooring for your kitchen, but it doesn’t need to be hard to find the best option. It comes as no surprise that hardwood flooring is the top choice when it comes to trends in flooring.
Since hardwood flooring is trending, here are some of the top hardwood floors:
- French oak
- European white oak
- Yellow oak
- Unstained white oak
- Rift cut white oak
If you like the look of real wood or stone flooring but do not have the time or energy to keep it well maintained, then look alike tile flooring is the best thing for you.
- Vinyl and ceramic tiles are made to look just like real wood or stone and only cost a fraction of what the real deal costs.
- Waterproof vinyl flooring for your kitchen is trending because it looks so similar to real wood and is very easy to maintain.
Kitchen Wall Trends
All-white kitchens are timeless but adding a splash of color brings everything together. You could also do a dark kitchen as long as you use light-colored flooring and a light-colored countertop. You should also add a lot of lighting and color pops to brighten up your dark kitchen.
When designing your kitchen, do not forget about your ceiling. You can add a splash of color to add something special to your kitchen ceiling. Here are some examples of what you can add to your ceiling:
- Wood paneling
When it comes to kitchen wall tiles, the sky is the limit for styles, sizes, and more.
- Large subway tiles are great at making your kitchen look more spacious.
- Herringbone and hexagon or honeycomb patterns are becoming popular.
- Trapezoid, rhombus, and diamond-shaped tiles have been trending since last year and are still trending today.
When adding a tile or stone backsplash, it is trending to take the backsplash all the way to the ceiling. Here are some of the trending backsplash ideas:
- Bold and colorful tile backsplashes.
- Matching the countertops and backsplash is very popular right now.
- Solid stone backsplashes add boldness to your kitchen and are usually made of marble.
Kitchen Lighting Trends
Like everything else in the kitchen, lighting is a very important part of the designing process. There are endless possibilities when it comes to choosing light fixtures for your kitchen, but we will only go through some of the most popular trends here.
Using pendant lights, over-center islands, and peninsulas are ideal because there is no risk of bumping your head on them here.
Light Fixture Colors
The color of your light fixtures can help bring the whole room together by adding just the right amount of color.
- Soft gold light fixtures are at the top of the trending list because they are somewhere in between the popular colors of brushed silver and brushed gold.
- Matte black light fixtures are also popular right now.
- You can match the color of your light fixtures with your cabinetry hardware, faucets, range hood, and other metals in your kitchen to add some great metallic accents.
- You could also mix and match the metals in your kitchen if you don’t like to have the same color accents throughout your kitchen.
Light Fixture Styles
The style of light fixture you choose can significantly change the way your kitchen looks and feels.
- Add task lights to the bottom of your cabinets to make your kitchen brighter and more comfortable to use.
- Use hanging lights over your center island and choose designs that stand out like woven, caged, or structured fabric fixtures.
- Geometric chandeliers are very beautiful and add something special to your kitchen.
You can never go wrong with natural lighting in your kitchen, so if you have the means to put skylights or extra windows in your kitchen, it could help your kitchen look bigger and feel more inviting.
Finding the Perfect Contractor in the Bay Area to Update Your Kitchen
If you live in the Bay Area and are looking for a contractor but are not sure where to start your search, Element Home Remodeling can help.
Element Home Remodeling is located in Mountain View, California, and they service the Mountain View area and the entire Bay Area.
- They offer full and partial remodeling services for the kitchen and other areas of houses.
- They offer free on-site estimates before they get started.
- They have all of the necessary teams to complete your project from start to finish without having to go through another company.
With these few things in mind, it should be much easier and faster to get started on your remodel. Contact us today to learn more.
There is no limit when designing or remodeling your kitchen, and with so many trends these days, it is super easy to create the perfect, up to date kitchen.
- These kitchen trends are not just for the Bay Area. You can use these styles anywhere.
- All of the price sections of this article are the price ranges for the materials only, they do not include installation costs.
- Understanding California’s New ADU Laws (October 2023) : A Look into AB 1033 and What It Means for Bay Area Homeowners - October 26, 2023
- Bay Area Homeowners: Elevating Your Home with These Second Story Room Additions Ideas - October 5, 2023
- Family Harmony: Your Guide to Building an In-law Suite in the Bay Area - October 5, 2023