The master bedroom is a sanctuary. It should not be overlooked when designing your dream home. Many people focus on the living room because they will entertain guests there. Yet, at the end of a long day, your bedroom is your special hideaway. Knowing some design ideas will help you create the perfect space.
You may already have a bedroom design in mind, or maybe you are starting from scratch. Either way, the design of your master bedroom is important to take a look at. Read on to discover some master bedroom design ideas you will love, and to see some handy tips to get you started.
Designing Your Master Bedroom
The master bedroom is, for many, the center of the house. While it may not be visible to most people, it is visible to you. Therefore, you want it to reflect who you are and what you find comfortable.
However, this does not mean your master bedroom needs to match the rest of the house. While your living room or den may have similar aesthetics, your bedroom can be different. Remember, most people will never truly see your bedroom, so you can get creative with how you design it.
There are many design ideas for your master bedroom. If you are starting from scratch, there are design ideas that will transform the entire bedroom. Moreover, if you already have your bedroom designed, but need some other flourishes to make it perfect, then knowing some design tips is vital.
Consider these four master bedroom categories to guide you in the decisions you will make.
- Contemporary design: A contemporary design is great if you want a modern-looking bedroom without the minimalist aspect. A contemporary design incorporates popular trends, but you can vary it up a bit.
- Rustic design: Rustic designs are more traditional, and they can invoke images of the countryside or farmhouses. They will use more earthy color tones.
- Minimalist design: Minimalism is very popular, and a minimalist design uses the mantra that less is truly more. These designs will usually have simple designs and a lot of open space.
- Mid-century modern design: A mid-century modern design mixes elements of modern and traditional. You will see elements that are reminiscent of the mid-twentieth century, but there will be contemporary elements present as well.
Each of these categories offers something different, but it is up to you to make them special. There are some master bedroom design ideas you will love that will complement the categories mentioned here.
Five Master Bedroom Design Ideas
Designing your master bedroom does not need to be stressful. In fact, it can be quite fun. It is about adding your personality to the room. Your master bedroom is, as mentioned, your hideaway. It is the place you will spend a lot of your time in, so you want to make sure the design elements are perfect for you.
There are many design ideas you can implement in your master bedroom. Here are five that you will love.
- Add a personal touch. Adding a personal touch is what will transform a showroom design into a unique one that suits you.
- Create a reading area. If you have space, you want to utilize it as best you can, and having a little area where you can read or do other little things is a great idea.
- Use coffered ceilings. Coffered ceilings can transform an entire room. Moreover, there are different patterns you can use depending on the overall style you are going for.
- Use layered carpeting. It may be easy to just throw down the first carpet or rug you see, but if you layer them you will add depth to your bedroom.
- Plush vs. antique style bed frames. Consider the frame of your bed when designing your master bedroom. There are different styles to choose from. Two include plush-style bed frames and antique-style bed frames. It depends on what overall style your master bedroom will be.
These five simple ideas can truly transform your master bedroom. Even if you use just one of them, you will notice the difference in the atmosphere of your bedroom.
Add a Personal Touch
You may notice in a lot of photographs of master bedroom designs that something is missing. That something is a personal touch. The showroom photographs of bedroom designs are just that: a showroom piece. They should be used as a guide.
One of the best design ideas you can implement is adding personal touches, which can be in many forms. Each person is different, so what you choose is completely up to you.
For example, you can include special family photographs and organize them around the room. Make sure the frames they reside in match the decor of the room. You may also choose to add special items from your life, such as a special gift you received years ago that you love so much.
Moreover, adding little flourishes here and there can make a big difference. Consider what you put on your side table. Are there little trinkets that mean a lot to you? Put them on the side table. These little things, though they may seem minor, can add a lot to the overall “feel” of the room.
Create a Reading Area
A reading area can make your master bedroom a very cozy place. Since your bedroom is the place where you want to relax, it makes sense to have a nice sitting area. Reading in bed is not as comfortable as it sounds.
A sitting area is a simple addition to any bedroom. It is best to place it near a window. A window will provide good light and will make the area feel more open. Additionally, for a nice sitting/reading area, you just need a nice, comfortable chair and a good lamp.
When you create a reading area for your master bedroom, you are giving it character. Your bedroom is not just for sleeping, it is for relaxing and winding down after a long day. Even if you do not read, having a nice sitting area where you can do your hobbies or just sit and relax with a good show can make all the difference.
Use Coffered Ceilings
Coffered ceilings are a great way to elevate the aesthetics of a master bedroom. A coffered ceiling requires a frame to be added to the existing ceiling, and then wood panels of different designs are added to this frame. The result is something both rustic and modern.
If you have a smaller master bedroom, then you should consider larger panels for your coffered ceiling. Larger panels will help open up your room and make it feel more spacious. Smaller panels will have the opposite effect.
It is also a good idea to use light-colored panels for your coffered ceiling. The lighter color will contrast well with the furniture and linens you use, but it will also make the room feel more open. Moreover, pairing a coffered ceiling with a small chandelier can add a great flourish to the room.
Use Layered Carpeting
Layers can be used to add aesthetic depth to your master bedroom. Consider using layered carpeting to accomplish this.
Using different textures, you can create a very cozy atmosphere in your master bedroom. For example, having a fuzzy base rug but a smaller one on top that is smooth can create a very nice look.
Moreover, make sure to use textures all over the bedroom. Using different textures will, when done right, complement each other. It will make your bedroom feel welcoming.
Plush vs. Antique Style Bed Frames
Have you ever considered the frame of your bed as a design element of your bedroom? Oftentimes, people focus a lot on everything around the bed (or on the bed), but they do not consider what the bed frame is made of. However, the bed frame can add a great deal to the aesthetics of the room.
Consider plush style bed frames. These bed frames are plush and have a soft texture in them. The headboards can be short or tall, depending on your preference. These can create a nice, soft look in your room. Moreover, they fit with most contemporary designs.
Antique-style bed frames can vary quite a bit. For example, you may decide you want a wooden bed frame to add to a rustic design. You may want a wooden bed frame but one in which the color is faded. This can add to a rustic design or a contemporary one.
Of course, there are other styles to consider, too. The plush style and the antique style, however, can be added to so many different aesthetics, that they are the most important to look at.
Master Bedroom Design Tips
When designing your master bedroom, it can become overwhelming at first. When you consider everything you want at once, it may seem like too much. However, when you break it down you can see the whole picture better.
There are some design tips you should consider when thinking about the design of your master bedroom.
- The size of the furniture. The size of the furniture is very important. If the furniture you use to fill the room with is too large, it can make the room feel cramped and small. You must keep the space you have in mind when making the decisions for the design of your bedroom.
- Using subtle colors. Subtle colors will bring a calmness to your bedroom, which is precisely what you want. If you use bold colors, it will not work as well. Earthy tones are also a good option. Since your bedroom will be used to relax, using subtle, relaxing color tones is important.
- The décor is important. It is not just about the furniture. The décor is important, and this can include the linen that you use on the bed. Since your bed is the focal point of your bedroom, how it looks is important. Put extra thought into the colors, texture, and materials of the linen so it compliments the rest of the room.
If your master bedroom is small, it may seem tricky at first to make it not seem so small. However, if you use the right-sized furniture, the right colors, and use the space to its potential, you can make it seem more open and less cramped.
Everything you put into your master bedroom is important. Therefore, they should all work together and compliment each other. You do not want one element to be so different as to be jarring.
Do Not Do Too Much with the Design
It is easy to get carried away when you are designing your master bedroom. You want many elements to be incorporated, but you can overdo it. If you have too many competing elements, it will just clash. This will make the atmosphere less inviting and less cozy.
You do not need to use every element to make your master bedroom work. Instead, opt for the most important. Consider what you want your room to be for you. Ask yourself what will make you most comfortable in your bedroom. You can achieve the aesthetic you want without doing too much.
Simplicity is key even when you are not designing a minimalist bedroom. Simple does not mean bland or empty. It means utilizing the space you have most efficiently.
About Element Home Remodeling
Element Home Remodeling is a Mountain View based home remodeling contractor and is one of the highest rated contractors in The Bay Area. We are dedicated to high quality work, professionalism and custom service. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation.
- What Are the Most Important Design Considerations When Building a Home Addition? - September 14, 2021
- 5 Home Improvement Projects That Will Transform Your Home - September 9, 2021
- 5 Signs You Hired the Wrong Contractor for Your Project - September 8, 2021