Over the past several years, there has been a rise in the number of people who are adding a second master suite to their homes. So, what are some of the reasons for the rise in popularity of this approach? Here in The Bay Area, a second master suite is a common home addition project since many people tend to buy smaller homes that are more affordable but lack a large master bedroom they desire. A solution to that is to simply add an additional master bedroom and bathroom to the home.
There are many reasons why you might opt to have a second master suite. It can make living with a partner more manageable, particularly if you have a different sleep routine or wake-up time. It can also be used as a luxurious space for visitors or a bedroom for family members in a multi-generational home. Plus, you will be able to boost the value of the home when you decide to sell.
Putting in a second master bedroom suite will require a lot of time and money. But it will also present you with a wide array of benefits. Keep reading to help decide whether this home addition project is the right approach for your home.
What is a Second Master Bedroom Suite?
Before we discuss the pros and cons of this approach, let’s take a closer look at what a second master bedroom suite is. This is often confused with a master bedroom. But they aren’t the same thing.
One of the biggest differences is the amenities that you can access. Both of them will give you access to an ensuite. But when you purchase a master suite, you will often get other inclusions. This will give you a luxury feel with options including:
- Walk-in wardrobe
- Wet bar
- More space to sit
As a result, you will be able to get more space from a master suite. It’s not uncommon for them to be between 300 to 600 square feet. This is where the luxury feeling that these suites provide can come from. The size and scope of these rooms also ensure that the owners will have a sense of privacy.
It should be noted that there is no set place to put the suite. Historically, the suites were placed upstairs, as this was the most private place. But you will be able to put them anywhere in the house. The key is making sure that you pick a location that makes you feel comfortable.
It’s easier to add the second suite if the house hasn’t been built yet. But it is possible to modify a property to include two master bedroom suites. It’s often easier to adapt an existing bedroom. If there isn’t enough space, you will be able to put an extension onto the house. Talk about your plans with your builder and see what they recommend.
Makes Living With a Partner More Practical
When you are living with a partner, it was the norm to share a bed. But more couples are changing this approach. There are plenty of reasons why they are sleeping in a separate room, including:
- Different working hours: Sometimes, you might need to work the night shift, waking up during the night. Having two separate rooms ensures that you don’t disturb each other when preparing for work in the morning.
- Sleep routines: Sometimes, your sleeping styles might not be compatible. One of the most common examples of this is when one person snores, keeping the other awake during the night. At other times, you might prefer to read in bed but don’t want the light to disturb your partner.
- Allowing you to have a personalized space: At other times, you might want to have two bedrooms, so you can customize the space to suit your needs. For example, you will be able to pick the right type of mattress and pillows for you. You’ll also be able to include art and other items that make you feel at ease.
- Better sleeping arrangements for new parents: When you first bring a child home, it can be a difficult period. If you have a second bedroom, you can take turns caring for the baby. This ensures that one of you is always well-rested.
There are dozens of other benefits that couples can get. Just because you are living together doesn’t mean that you need to spend all your time with each other. Increasingly, modern couples are placing a greater value on autonomy and personal freedom. Having two master bedroom suites allows you to do this.
Creates a Space for Visitors
Sometimes, the second master bedroom won’t be designed to be a space for you. Instead, it will be designed to appeal to visitors who are staying with you. This is ideal for a more extended visit, as they will have their own space.
For example, this can be perfect if you have elderly parents who are staying with you. This area can have all the amenities you need to care for them. For some families, this approach will be preferable to sending them to a nursing home.
Another common example is turning your house into a rental property, bringing in a second source of income. Having a private place for rentals will make both of you feel more comfortable. Because of this, you will be able to charge a higher rental price.
Interestingly, adding a second master bedroom might be a more cost-effective way to cater to your visitors. If you have unused bedrooms, it will be less expensive to convert this space into a second master bedroom than building a guest house to cater to guests. Despite the lower cost, it will still provide the same luxurious experience.
Ideal for Dual Occupancy
Dual occupancy is an innovative way for you to afford to buy a home. In this case, you will be pooling your money with other individuals. This will allow you to afford a bigger home than you ordinarily would. But it can come with a downside.
If there is only one master suite, it will be a constant source of tension. This can quickly turn the dream of sharing the house into a nightmare. The good news is that a second master bedroom suite will ease a lot of these concerns. Plus, having a private space will make sharing the property a lot easier for both parties.
Building a Trendy House
Another reason why you might want to consider adding a second master bedroom is to keep up with the latest trends. According to the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB), demand for a second master suite continues to grow. There are no signs that this trend is planning on slowing down. There are a few other trends that you should be aware of if you want to build a contemporary home. These include:
- Most homes have four or more bathrooms and three bathrooms.
- Increasing focus on energy-efficient appliances
- More demand for walk-in pantries and walk-in robes
- Outdoor spaces, like front porches, are becoming more important
Suitable for Aging at Home
More people are thinking about how they are going to use their homes in the future. This coincides with a greater desire to stay at home during old age rather than going into a care facility. While this might be a good ambition, it will take some careful planning to ensure it becomes a reality.
This is why a second master bedroom can be such a good idea. It will provide a place for a nurse or caregiver to stay, so you will be able to receive around-the-clock care. Additionally, you and your partner might have different care needs. Having two masters will allow you to set up the space to accommodate your unique requirements.
Perfect for a Multi-Generational Home
Sometimes, you will need to think about how the house is set up and how it will change as your life changes. Today, there is an increasing trend towards multi-generational homes. This might mean parents living with adult children. Or it could mean moving in with the grandparents. Sometimes, grandparents, parents, and children will all be in the same house together.
This situation will present a range of unique challenges. But many of them can be solved by having two or more master bedroom suites. This will give everyone a private area that they can retreat to. Though you will all be living together, you will all maintain a sense of independence. This can prevent a lot of arguments.
Boosts the Value of Your House
One of the biggest reasons why you might want to install a second master bedroom suite is to increase the value of your property. These generously proportioned rooms and stunning amenities are sure to grab the attention of a prospective buyer. This will help reduce the amount of time that your house is sitting on the market.
It will also add value to the property. The amount of value it adds can vary, depending on the size of the second master and the type of amenities you include. Though, most estimates believe that it will be around $80,000.
It should be noted that this is only around 60 percent of the costs associated with building the second master suite. But, if you plan to make this your forever home and live in it for many years, it is still a sensible investment.
Downsides of Installing a Second Master Bedroom Suite
As we’ve seen, there are plenty of upsides that a second master bedroom suite can unlock. But it can also come with a few downsides; some of the biggest ones are:
- The cost: The master suite is one of the most expensive rooms in the house. They can cost around $130,000 to add one to your home. If you want to modify an existing space, you can expect to pay around $45,000.
- Amount of space you have available: Your master bedroom will be one of the largest rooms in the house. Because of this, it might be hard to find the space to install a second suite in a smaller house. You don’t want the space for your master suite to leave other areas feeling claustrophobic.
- More work to maintain: Double the master bedroom suites means double the amount of work required to keep them neat. It also means double the cost to maintain.
- You’ll need to find the right buyer: While getting a second master bedroom will help your house stand out from the pack, it isn’t a traditional layout. Because of this, not everyone will appreciate the flexibility this approach provides.
The good news is that most of these downsides are fairly minor. As long as you have a valid reason for installing a second suite, you will be able to overlook many of them.
The idea of installing a second master suite has started to become more popular. As we’ve seen, there are plenty of reasons why this is the case. It will give you more flexibility, making it easier to live with your partner or housemate. It can also prove helpful if you plan to live with an elderly relative or if you want to stay in your home rather than move to a retirement village.
Element Home Remodeling is a home addition contractor in Mountain View, CA. We specialize in home additions and adding master bedrooms and baths to existing homes. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation.
- The Benefits of Adding a Second Master Bedroom Suite - December 21, 2021
- Should I Renovate My Basement Or Add An Addition? - December 21, 2021
- How to Modernize Your Bay Area Craftsman Style Home - December 14, 2021